Hamilton Island is super special to us, we first went there for our babymoon with Bethenny and we fell in love. There is something so easy about it, everything is just streamlined, easy and relaxing, just how it should be.
It’s so easy to get there with a direct airport where your bags are taken straight to your accommodation to start your holiday. The airport is also only 5 mins drive from many accommodation venues.
I wasn’t sure how we would go taking Brooklyn there as last time we went some places didn’t have gluten free options (for me) but they have evolved in leaps and bounds in this respect and I am so grateful as we had a relaxing and amazing holiday. We actually were able to eat out more than we ever do at home, I think this is the longest I have gone without cooking since my little man was born so it was such a great break for me in particular !!
Where we ate and what we had –
*For those reading about us for the first time Brooklyn is free from dairy, egg, soy, wheat & gluten including traces, Bethenny and I are wheat & gluten*
Fish and chips @ Pop eye fish and chip shop
We had chips with fish grilled in aluminium foil so that it didn’t pick up traces of egg/dairy/wheat from the grill.
Chips are packet potato – maltodextrin & canola oil, vegetable oil but did not state soy and he was fine.
Ice cream // ice blocks
The ice cream shop has gluten free ice cream (soft serve & Cadbury flake) but not dairy free so I got some Peter’s ice blocks in the pack from the supermarket which were safe. He is cutting more teeth and hasn’t had anything like this much before so he enjoyed it so much he fell asleep holding it in the buggy.
We stayed in the Whitsunday Apartments so that we would have our own kitchen ‘just in case’ it was too hard to eat out with Brooklyn.
The local store isn’t huge so it doesn’t have a huge range but enough to get you by and here are some of the things we found that were safe for us:
• Bacon (breaky with mushrooms, avo, tomato)
• Frozen chips
• Rice cakes
• Smiths chips
• Latina fresh bolognese
• GF bread – but not free from egg – I packed our own for Brooklyn
• Rice milk
• Almond milk
I also took along some pasta from home, condiments and rice milk.
• Almond milk
• Buddha bowl – gluten free/vegan (dairy/egg/soy free) can add chicken
• Gluten free bread – not sure if dairy free etc though didn’t enquire
• AMAZING !!
• Brooklyn had chicken taco’s** the chicken was coated in corn flour “massa flour”, the tortilla’s were corn as well and we were told they’d be safe and they seem to be – we had no issues at all, then he just had guacamole and salad and he absolutely loved it
• We loved Tako as well, the food was really amazing, heaps is gluten free and also dairy free and already marked on the menu but they were fabulous with Brooklyn’s additional requirements, they didn’t even blink when I handed them my food allergy card
Manta Ray Café
• Brooklyn had salmon cooked in aluminium foil with chips and salad**
• Plenty of gluten free options
• Great again with allergies, very accommodating and happy to help
Reef view poolside restaurant
• Brooklyn had minute steak with sweet potato and brocollini**
• Again very happy to accommodate
• Some accommodation includes water sports; canoes, catamarans, paddle boards which is amazing!
• Some accommodation includes buffet breakfast at the Reef View hotel.
• Some accommodation means that when you dine at selected venues kids eat for free – AMAZING and some of the above allergy friendly meals (marked with an asterisk) are the ones we got for free as they just adapted the kids menu.
• Some accommodation provides a buggy otherwise you can hire one for your choice of time: