Recipe; Crumpets – dairy, gluten, wheat, egg, soy free
400mls plant milk – rice, almond or coconut (your preference)
1 tablespoon dried yeast (see below for the one we used)
300 grams gluten free flour (see below)
1/2 teaspoon bicarb soda
nuttelex to ‘oil’ the pan
1. Gently warm the milk. In a bowl, dissolve the yeast and sugar in the warm milk and 100ml of tepid water. Leave in a warm place for 15 minutes, or until frothy.
2. Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda and 1 teaspoon of fine sea salt into a large bowl. Make a well in the centre and pour in the yeast mixture.
3. Whisk from the centre outwards until thick consistency – this will take a few minutes. Add a splash more water, if needed.
4. Cover with a damp tea towel and set aside for 45 minutes or until little bubbles form on the surface.
5. Grease four 10cm egg rings with nuttelex. Wipe a little oil around a large frying pan or iron skillet and place over a medium-high heat.
6. Arrange the rings in the frying pan and, once hot, spoon 4 tablespoons of the batter into each ring. Cook for 5 minutes, or until little bubbles appear on the surface.
7. Once the bubbles have burst, leaving little holes, use tongs to carefully lift off the rings and flip over the crumpets, then cook for 1 minute on the other side. Re-grease and reheat the rings and pan before cooking the next batch.
8. Serve the crumpets warm, with nuttelex, rice cream, berries, honey or freedom foods vegemite (see my product index: http://www.iammeowms.com/allergy-free-products/ ), there are plenty of options – YUM!
Method & Recipe adapted from: